Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Louis Jones w/The Bobby Scott Orchestra "The Birds Is Coming" (1963)
Get your enjoys, Jonathan Toubin Soul Proprietor, New York Night Train




originally published Published on Apr 14, 2017
Get ready for Saturday's Houston, TX Soul Clap with Galveston soul screamer Louis "Blues Boy" Jones surrealist horror rhythm and blues masterpiece informed by Alfred Hitchcock's "The BIrds"... "The Birds is Coming"!

Years back I found a record for one my favorite DJs and people, Action Pat of Miami's fabulous Southernmost Soul Club and he gave me this curious platter as a thank you. When Pat gave me this killer slice of eccentricity I shouted, "This might just be the best record I've ever heard!" then I asked, "But how can i get anybody to dance to it?" He told me they'll dance if they're in the right mood. And he was right! And the flip "Cuz I Love You" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLNrn...) is one of the ultimate Texas soul ballads and a showcase for Jones' unreal pipes!

Like Wilson Pickett, Louis "Blues Boy" Jones is one of the rare soul screamers who is also a super-musical note hitter that delivers the goods with impeccable phrasing for maximum emotional effect. While his ballads are something to behold, all five of his A-sides work hard on the dance floor. Particularly his "Come On Home" - a signature song of sorts for me that hasn't stopped rotating on my tables since nearly the beginning...

Blues Boy Jones was born in Galveston in 1931 and by the early 1950s had served in the Korean War and was in Houston lending his amazing vocal talents to the backing Bobby Blue Bland, Big Mama Thornton, and other stars of Don Robey's universe in the studio. His first record, the ringing "Rock'n'Roll Bells" on Peacock was as much novelty as high grade dynamic rhythm and blues. It was a minor hit and a favorite of Elvis Presley. Its surprising that not much followed on Duke/Peacock. He then hooked up with Bobby Scott Orchestra and churned out a couple of amazing 2-siders recorded in Beaumont and released on a Lelan Rogers' pre-International Artists imprint, Sabra Records. As a member of Bobby Scott Orchestra, Jones toured the world as a featured vocalist and behind Otis Redding, Jerry Butler, and Maxine Brown. Brown invited the band to New York where this single and another killer diller for Bobby Robinson's Enjoy were both recorded in 1963.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/onlin...
http://thefacts.com/free_share/articl...
graphics by AVI SPIVAK (http://www.avispivak.com)!

You're listening to the daily addition to the New York Night Train Party Platter playlist. Each track here is recorded directly from my original 45s (no bootlegs, reproductions, etc) to give you an idea of what the real deal authentic vinyl I turn at my parties sounds like. COME BACK EVERY DAY FOR A NEW FIX! Because the records pass so quickly on the dance floor, this channel is an attempt to stop and focus on one record at a time in hopes to personally learn more about each one and at the same time turn you on to the artists, tracks, labels, etc. I'm just hipping myself to a lot of these records for the first time as well - so you can view this as our journey into learning more about cool old records together! But above all else I hope this music moves you as much as it moves me.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Jonathan. I love your article about my late father Louis Blues Boy Jones. Thanks for sharing his music and legacy. Hope you get a copy of my latest book titled Unknown for Six Decades on Amazon.com. Music is love. Thank you kindly LaVern.

    ReplyDelete