Monday, September 9, 2013

New collaboration of mine of Keith Morris
with Shepard Fairey will be made available Tuesday




I have approached Shepard with ideas for collaborations as often as he's approached me. This latest was a no brainer and we've been discussing it off and on for a couple of years now. Finally with the FLAG and OFF! shows in full gear, Shepard agreed this would be a great time to do one with our old friend, and inspiration, Keith Morris.

Yes, Keith was Black Flag's original singer, and yes he was one of the founders of the Circle Jerks, as well as a few other side project bands, and now he's currently in a really great band called OFF!

As I said, he's currently doing the "FLAG" thing with Chuck Dukowski, Dez Cadena, Bill Stevenson, and Steve (from All), They are playing lots of the old BLACK FLAG songs they all know so well and performed for several years in the late 70's and early 80's. I saw them play a great show a few weeks ago. (I was worn out for days after enjoying that set!) In fact it was while I was out in LA doing some work (I went with Shepard & Amanda Fairey, actually), among other things, and signing all these prints! Anyway, I think these came out really cool. (In fact I'm thinking a Dukowski collaboration may have to happen as well, not too far down the road.)

Check out the blurb's from Shepard and Keith below along with links to where you can get one of the limited edition prints if you're interested.

from OBEYGIANT.com
I’m a big fan of all of the bands Keith Morris has fronted… Black Flag, The Circle Jerks, and OFF!. My first punk show was the Circle Jerks in 1986 in Summerville, South Carolina. I illustrated this image from one of Glen E. Friedman’s photos of Keith around 1981 0r 1982 playing with the Circle Jerks. Glen also shot the Circle Jerks’ “Golden Shower of Hits” cover which is in the collage in the lower left. Keith was kind enough to write down all of his favorite song titles from all three bands to incorporate into the collage.

-Shepard

I was approached by Glen E. Friedman asking if I’d be interested in collaborating with him and his friend Shepard Fairey on a poster using a photo he had taken a coupla’ dozen yrs. ago. I was familiar with Shepard and his work as we’d hung out at 2 or 3 art exhibits, seen various pieces of his including giant images of Henry Rollins, Ian McKaye, Glen Danzig and others at the KROQ punk gig out in San Bernardino and had been to his art space when he threw a flyer/poster/punk rock art shindig. Shepard and I talked about color schemes and seeing as I’m a fan of Rick Griffin who started off drawing comics for Surfer Magazine, posters for the Fillmore West and John Van Hamersveld who was responsible for the Beatles “Magical Mystery Tour” album cover and some of my favorite handbills for early gigs at the Shrine Auditorium in the late 60′s I wanted to use some of their color examples…………4 days later we were going to print.
-Keith Morris



18 x 24 inch screen prints, signed by Shepard Fairey, Glen E. Friedman and Keith Morris. Three different colorway versions available.

Release date: Tuesday September 10, 2013 at a random time between 10 and 11am PST in the PRINTS page of the store. Limit 1 version of each colorway per person/household.


Further notes: Keith also mentioned his love of “Germs” blue, so I made a color variation inspired by that as well as the psychedelic vibe and my usual color palette.
-Shepard



KEITH MORRIS (4 COLOR)

18 x 24 inch, 4 color screen print. Signed by Shepard Fairey, Glen E. Friedman and Keith Morris. Numbered edition of 200. $75. Limit 1 per person/household.

KEITH MORRIS (BLUE)

18 x 24 inches, 3 color screen print. Signed by Shepard Fairey, Glen E. Friedman and Keith Morris. Numbered edition of 150. $75. Limit 1 per person/household.

KEITH MORRIS (RED)

18 x 24 inches, 3 color screen print. Signed by Shepard Fairey, Glen E. Freidman and Keith Morris. Numbered edition of 150. $75. Limit 1 per person/household.

Release Date: Tuesday September 10, 2013 at a random time between 10 and 11am PST in the PRINTS page of the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment